25 October 2016
DEGNZ invites applications for a TV Drama Director Attachment on South Pacific Pictures’ serial TV drama SHORTLAND STREET for TVNZ.
This paid attachment is currently scheduled to take place for four weeks this year commencing November 17 until December 14. It may include a small stand down period to allow for breaks in the schedule, with the aim of the Attachment getting to experience pre-production, production and post production on a major drama production.
The successful candidate will attach to one of New Zealand’s most experienced drama directors and long-time Shortland Street director, Geoffrey Cawthorn.
Payment will be determined by negotiation with the production company and the level of experience of the applicant.
An opportunity exists for the Attachment to direct a scene in the production, but this is entirely at the discretion of South Pacific Pictures and its producer(s) and director—it is not guaranteed.
The aim of the attachment is to:
- develop and upskill new television drama directors and
- contribute to the ongoing production of quality future television drama and
- provide another training pathway to the limited opportunities currently available.
To be eligible, applicants MUST:
- Be a FULL member of DEGNZ, and
- Have past dramatic narrative directing experience, and
- Have a keen interest in television drama, and
- Either: –
- Have 2 short film credits publicly screened to a paying audience at an NZFC accredited short film festival*, OR
- Have held a position as the first assistant director of a publicly distributed and released feature film or TV drama series, OR
- Have won an award for a short film at an NZFC accredited film festival*
*The NZFC list of accredited short film festivals here.
To apply, please download the application form cover sheet from the DEGNZ website here, and submit the following in electronic form ONLY (Word file or PDF) by 5PM Friday 28 October, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org with SHORTLAND STREET in the subject line:
- Completed Application Form Cover Sheet with your FULL DEGNZ Membership No., including links to your publicly screened works
- A full CV & Filmography
- A reference (from a senior screen industry practitioner)
- A proposal of a maximum of 1-page outlining why you want to do the attachment.
A shortlist will be developed from applicants. An interview may or may not be required.
We will notify you as to whether or not your application has been successful, but no further correspondence will be entered into regarding your application and the decision will be final.
We look forward to receiving your applications. This initiative has been made possible with the support of NZ On Air and South Pacific Pictures.
Last updated on 18 March 2018