Last Updated on
We are excited to announce that the DEGNZ Women Filmmakers Incubator will be going online in 2020 during the COVID-19 crisis and will resume face-to-face workshops when safe to do so.
The Directors & Editors Guild of NZ is now accepting applications from female directors to take part in the fourth year of this talent development programme.
The overall vision of the DEGNZ Women Filmmakers Incubator is to empower the participating directors with the confidence, knowledge and connections that they can use to go on and direct a feature film, drama or scripted series.
The Incubator is intended primarily for emerging debut directors of feature film (drama or documentary), but will also consider those wishing to establish careers in TV drama and scripted content.
Applicants must apply with a project, but the Incubator is primarily focused on filmmaker development, not project development.
The objectives of the Incubator are:
- Increase the number of women directing features and TV drama.
- Connect producers, broadcasters and funders with female directors with a view to getting more female-centric stories into and through development.
- Create networking opportunities for women directors to further their projects and careers.
- Inspire and encourage women directors to passionately pursue feature film and drama directing careers through interaction with successful women who serve as role models.
- Improve directors’ understanding of the business of film and television drama.
The Incubator comprises five one-day workshops across 2020 with the first scheduled to take place in May 2020. Participants need access to a computer (recommended) or mobile to participate in online workshops via Zoom. If it becomes safe to resume public gatherings, remaining workshops will be held in Auckland. A travel allowance will be available for participants based in other regions.
The workshops are individually themed to provide specific knowledge, networks, skills, and inspiration that enable participants to advance themselves and their careers. As the global screen industry undergoes constant change during this turbulent time, DEGNZ will remain flexible as to the actual content of the programme, seeking to incorporate information and opportunities that are relevant.
All applicants will be expected to have a good level of directing experience with scripted content, such as acclaimed web series, shorts with festival success, TV commercials, or broadcast content.
- Have an active project (feature film, documentary feature, telefeature, TV/online drama or scripted series) in development that has never been presented to a broadcaster or funder. It is preferable that the project is at least at first draft script but if not available, there must be a detailed treatment for the project.
- Have experience as a director of scripted content (drama, comedy) or documentary in the form of the project they are submitting, i.e. if you are applying with a narrative drama project, you must have experience directing narrative drama or if it’s comedy, experience directing comedy, etc.
- For feature film, be a debut director.
- Be available to participate in all workshops.
- Be a NZ Citizen or permanent resident.
Selected participants must be DEGNZ members for the duration of the Incubator programme; they can be on either a Full or Associate membership level until 1 October 2020 as the Guild has reviewed its memberships in response to COVID-19. After 1 October, participants are required to be Full members, unless the Guild has decided to extend its Membership Holiday programme.
A selection panel will shortlist candidates. Shortlisted candidates must be available for a one-on-one interview via Zoom to be held around the end of April 2020. Getting an interview does not imply that you have been selected for the Incubator.
If shortlisted, you will be expected to immediately supply prior to the interview a detailed treatment of your project (different to your 1-page synopsis). The treatment needs to be within a minimum of 5 pages to a maximum of 10 pages.
The Incubator participants will be selected from the shortlist following the interview.
Decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 5PM, Friday 17 April 2020
- Completed DEGNZ Women Filmmakers Incubator Application Cover Sheet. Available here
- A one-page synopsis of the project with the ending revealed.
- A maximum two-page letter stating what your career goals are and why you want to participate in this Incubator.
- A one-page bio (not a CV).
- A filmography and links to completed work that supports the project you are including with this application.
Compile your documents into one single PDF* in the order matching requirements 1 – 5.
Give the single PDF the following naming convention: (YourName)_DEGNZWomenFilmmakersIncubator_2020
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with DEGNZWFI2020 in the subject line.
The Incubator is made possible thanks to the generous support of the New Zealand Film Commission.