Last Updated on
DEGNZ is pleased to be able to offer the Women Filmmakers Incubator for a third year in 2019. We now welcome applications from female directors to be a part of this programme.
The overall vision of the DEGNZ Women Filmmakers Incubator is to empower the participating directors with the confidence, knowledge and connections that they can use to go on and direct a feature film, drama or scripted series.
The Incubator is intended primarily for emerging debut directors of feature film (drama or documentary), but will also consider those wishing to establish careers in TV drama and scripted content.
Applicants must apply with a project, but the Incubator is primarily focused on filmmaker development, not project development.
The objectives of the Incubator are:
- Improve writers and/or directors’ understanding of the business of film and television drama.
- Increase the number of women directing features and TV drama.
- Connect producers, broadcasters and funders with female directors with a view to getting more female-centric stories into and through development.
- Create networking opportunities for women directors to further their projects and careers.
- Inspire and encourage women directors to passionately pursue feature film and drama directing careers through interaction with successful women who serve as role models.
The Incubator comprises five one-day workshops across an approximate 12-month period with the first scheduled to take place in March 2019.
The workshops are individually themed to provide specific knowledge, networks, skills, and inspiration that enable participants to advance themselves and their careers.
All applicants will be expected to have a good level of directing experience with scripted content such as acclaimed web series, shorts with festival success, TV commercials, or broadcast content.
- Have an active project (feature film, documentary feature, telefeature, TV or web drama or scripted series) in development that has NEVER been presented to a broadcaster or funder. It is preferable that the project is at least at first draft script, but if not available there must be a detailed treatment for the project.
- Have experience as a director of scripted content (drama, comedy) or documentary in the form of the project they are submitting, i.e. if you are applying with a narrative drama project, you must have experience directing narrative drama or if it’s comedy, experience directing comedy, etc.
- For feature film, be a debut director.
- Be available to participate in all workshops.
Application & Selection Process
A selection panel comprising DEGNZ board members and senior industry practitioners will shortlist candidates. Shortlisted candidates must be available for a one-on-one interview either in person or via Skype to be held around the end of February/early March 2019.
If shortlisted, you will be expected to immediately supply prior to the interview a detailed treatment of your project (different to your 1-page synopsis). The treatment needs to be within a minimum of 5-pages to a maximum of 10-pages.
Decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The Incubator participants will be selected from the shortlist following the interview—getting an interview does not imply that you have been selected for the Incubator.
Every Incubator participant must be a Full DEGNZ member for the full duration of the Incubator course.
The workshops will be held in Auckland. A travel allowance will be available for those successful applicants coming from other regions.
- Completed DEGNZ Women Filmmakers Incubator Application Cover Sheet. Available here (updated)
- A one-page synopsis of the project with the ending revealed.
- A maximum two-page letter stating what your career goals are and why you want to participate in this Incubator.
- A one-page bio (not a CV).
- A filmography and links to completed work that supports the project you are including with this application.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 4PM, Monday 25 February 2019
Compile your documents into one single PDF in the order matching requirements 1 – 5.
Give the single PDF the following naming convention: (YourName)_DEGNZWomenFilmmakersIncubator_2019
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with DEGNZWFI2019 in the subject line.