Last Updated on
The Directors & Editors Guild of NZ invites you to apply for a 2-day Directing Toolkit Workshop with director Danny Mulheron.
The workshop will be held on Saturday and Sunday, 1 and 2 April in Wellington.
Danny will draw on his extensive experience to deliver an interactive and informative Directing Toolkit, which requires participants to get physically involved.
Day One topics will include:
- The Director and the Script, Or: God I’m bored, why?
- Text, Subtext and Context, Or: “Help, I’m struggling for depth?”
- Observing Human Behaviour and Emotions, Or: On preferring what you don’t want…and recognising it.
- The #1 Secret of the Actor/Director Relationship, Or: Don’t fall in love with them…too much?
- Tools of the Director, Or: How to keep out of the way. It’s what you don’t do that counts.
Day Two will guide participants on working with actors, script reads, rehearsing, shooting and blocking through the use of demonstration and class exercises.
About Danny Mulheron
Since his graduation from the New Zealand Drama School in 1983, Danny has become an experienced director, writer and actor in all mediums – stage, screen and television. He is known as an ‘actor’s director’ due to his particular strength in directing actors and getting extraordinary performances.
Danny has directed award-winning television dramas, feature-length documentaries and smash hit theatre productions. His latest work has been Why does love?, a rock and roll movie about The Dance Exponents. Prior to that he directed all six episodes of the Hillary TV series for TVNZ. Other TV movies include The Kick, Rage and Eruption. Fresh Meat was a lesbian cannibal grind house movie for the Gibson Group which made it to the NYC Tribeca Film Festival. He is currently completing the writing of a screenplay based on the play The Motor Camp, as well as a couple of other screenplays in production.
What: Directing Toolkit Workshop with Danny Mulheron
When: Saturday 1 April, 9.30am – 4.30pm & Sunday 2 April, 9.30am – 4.30pm
Where: TBC, Wellington
Cost: Free for DEGNZ members, $100 for non-members
Lunch and refreshments provided.
A travel allowance is available for those coming from outside the Wellington region.
TO APPLY please send your application in ONE PDF to email@example.com with ‘Wellington Directing Toolkit’ in the subject line.
In your application, please provide:
- links to samples of your work
- a maximum one-page letter stating why you want to attend this workshop.
- please also include your mobile number and any dietary requirements.
Extended Application Deadline: 9am, Monday 27 March.
This initiative is brought to you with the support of the New Zealand Film Commission.