The DEGNZ Drama Editor Attachment Scheme is a new initiative giving emerging drama editors the opportunity to advance their craft through shadowing and mentoring from an experienced drama editor.
Emerging drama editors are invited to apply for our first DEGNZ Drama Editor Attachment to editor Paul Sutorius on a telefeature about to go into production directed by John Lang.
Paul Sutorius is an highly experienced award-winning editor whose career spans feature films (Home By Christmas), documentary (Aspiring) and TV drama (800 Words, Until Proven Innocent). He is a longtime collaborator of director Gaylene Preston, beginning with Ruby and Rata in 1990, which won him a NZ Film and Television Award, and most recently My Year with Helen.
This initiative is targeted at editors who wish to move into feature film editing. It’s purpose is to allow an emerging drama editor to:
- learn through attendance during editing, and later at director, producer and or funding body screenings about the critique and response process so vital to the successful creative collaboration required of the feature film editor.
- get on-the-job feature-editing experience
- receive feedback and mentoring from an experienced feature film editor in a safe environment
The opportunity for the attachment to get hands-on cutting experience is possible but entirely at the discretion of the editor, director and producers of the production. This opportunity may be limited due to the fast post-production pace required of this particular production.
This is a paid attachment and requires the successful candidate to start on 19 March 2018 in Auckland. They are also required to be a full member of DEGNZ to secure the attachment.
The duration of the attachment would be up to a maximum of 30 full days, but may well be broken down into a mixture of full days and half days. The first two weeks from 19 March are expected to be full time.
To be eligible, applicants MUST:
- Be a FULL member of DEGNZ
- Be fully competent with the AVID editing system
- Have some past dramatic narrative editing experience (does not have to be extensive)
- Be available to participate fully during the post production period, starting 19 March
- Most importantly, have a passionate desire to become a feature film editor
Please send your application in ONE PDF or Word DOC to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Editor Attachment’ in the subject line.
Application Deadline: 5PM Wednesday 7 March 2018
Your application must include:
- a maximum 1-page letter on why you would like to do the attachment
- a completed Editor Attachment Application Form Cover Sheet. Download it here
- your CV and filmography, including links to existing work
We will notify you as to whether or not your application has been successful, but the decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into regarding your application.
We look forward to receiving your applications.
This initiative has been made possible with the support of the New Zealand Film Commission.