The DEGNZ Drama Editor Attachment Scheme is a new initiative giving emerging drama editors the opportunity to advance their craft through shadowing and mentoring from an experienced drama editor.
Emerging drama editors are invited to apply for our third DEGNZ Drama Editor Attachment. The successful candidate will attach to editor Peter Roberts on feature film Juniper, directed by Matthew Saville, and produced by Desray Armstrong and Angela Littlejohn.
Since relocating from the United Kingdom, Peter Roberts has made his mark in New Zealand as an editor. Roberts found his editing niche at TVNZ, before a prolific freelance career saw him cutting a string of documentaries, shorts, and features — including award-winning drama The Dark Horse. In 2013 he became the first editor to be elected President of the Directors and Editors Guild of New Zealand. Peter’s other credits include Sam kelly’s feature Savage, due for release in NZ in 2020 following its world premiere in 2019 at the Busan International Film Festival; hit NZ – Aus. TV drama series Cleverman; telefeature Jean, helmed by Rob Sarkies; and Bryn Evans directed feature doc. Hip Hop-eration.
The DEGNZ Drama Editor Attachment initiative is targeted at editors who wish to move into feature film editing. Its purpose is to allow an emerging drama editor to:
- learn through attendance during editing, and later at director, producer and or funding body screenings about the critique and response process so vital to the successful creative collaboration required of the feature film editor.
- get on-the-job feature-editing experience.
- receive feedback and mentoring from an experienced feature film editor in a safe environment.
The opportunity for the attachment to get limited hands-on cutting experience is possible but entirely at the discretion of the editor, director and producers of the production.
This is a paid Auckland-based attachment and requires the successful candidate depending on experience and flexibility to start at the earliest in February 2020. If non-Auckland based, the candidate must cover their own travel and living costs. They are also required to be a Full member of DEGNZ for the duration of their attachment.
The duration of the attachment would be up to a maximum of 30 full days, but may well be broken down into a mixture of full days and half days. The first week is expected to be full time.
To be eligible, applicants MUST:
- Be a FULL member of DEGNZ
- Be fully competent with the AVID editing system
- Have some past dramatic narrative editing experience (does not have to be extensive)
- Be available to participate fully during the post production period, starting in February
- Most importantly, have a passionate desire to become a feature film editor
Application Deadline: 5PM, Friday 17 January 2020
Send your application in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Editor Attachment’ in the subject line.
Your application must include:
- a maximum 1-page letter on why you would like to do the attachment
- your CV and filmography, including links to a showreel/video samples that illustrate your dramatic narrative work
- a completed Editor Attachment Application Cover Sheet.
DEGNZ will notify you as to whether or not your application has been successful, but the decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into regarding your application.
We look forward to receiving your applications.
This attachment is brought to you with the generous support of the New Zealand Film Commission.