This summer, we’re celebrating the release of the much-anticipated new book by filmmaker, writer and DEGNZ Lifetime member John Reid – Whatever It Takes: Pacific Films and John O’Shea 1948-2000.
In Whatever It Takes, Reid tells the true story of a man and his vision, and of the entrepreneurs and dreamers who gathered around him in pursuit of films that would define New Zealand cinema. In a career spanning fifty years, John O’Shea nurtured a generation of filmmakers.
Pacific Films was founded on the belief that without locally made feature films, a country imperils its very identity. Led by its idiosyncratic producer John O’Shea, the story of Pacific Films begins at the emergence of a New Zealand national cinema in the second half of the twentieth century, when Pacific was virtually the only independent voice, beholden neither to the government nor the establishment, but determined to establish the value of its production with both.
Win Yourself a Copy of Whatever It Takes
DEGNZ has one copy of this fantastic book to give away to a lucky member, thanks to Victoria University Press ($60).
Every DEGNZ member with a current membership on 28 February 2019 will be entered into the draw with a chance to win. Members who join or renew their membership by 28 February 2019 will also be in the draw.*
One winner will be drawn on 1 March 2019.
*Terms and Conditions of entry:
- To qualify for this competition, your DEGNZ membership must be current on 28 February 2019. New or returning members must join DEGNZ by 28 February 2019.
- Full, Associate and Student members are eligible.
- Your membership gives you one entry into the draw.
- DEGNZ will use reasonable efforts to contact the winner within 7 days of the Prize Draw date.
- The Winner must respond and accept the Prize within 14 calendar days from the date of such contact or the prize will be forfeited and another draw undertaken.
- DEGNZ’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to.