Want to supercharge your work with actors? Rehearsal Dynamics is a full-day DEGNZ director’s workshop on March 7 with acting coach, actor and director Miranda Harcourt.
We will work practically with actors, referring to case studies and focusing on the directors’ skills of diagnosis, solution, preparation and communication using Miranda’s 5 tools:
Vista + Objects
All directors will work on a task in break outs during the morning session. Then in the afternoon, six of the directors will rehearse and direct pairs of actors on 2-minute scenes, while the rest observe. The Guild will select the Director Participants and Observers (limited spaces) from applications.
About Miranda Harcourt
Miranda is an acting coach, actor and director. Miranda’s specialty is screen naturalism. Her approach is based on years of writing and performing Verbatim theatre in prisons in New Zealand, Australia and the UK, as well as her work as an on-set acting coach with renowned actors and directors on films all over the world.
She has taught at TIFF in Toronto, at NFTS and NYU Tisch, The London Film School and Directors UK in Britain, at AFTRS and The Hub in Sydney, at Toi Whakaari, The Actors’ Program, Otago University and Victoria University in Aotearoa. For seven years Miranda was the Head of the Acting Department at Toi Whakaari – New Zealand Drama School.
In her work with actors and directors, Miranda aims to shift paradigms, empowering creatives to realise their own talent. She introduces simple but innovative ways of thinking about and achieving connection and character. She has developed a series of tools and exercises for use in rehearsal and on-set that get actors to where they need to be, fast.
DEGNZ member – Free
Non-member – Participant $95; Observer $45
Lunch, tea and coffee included.
When: Sunday 7 March 2021, 10am – 5pm
Where: Auckland venue TBC
Preparation if selected: All participants shall receive a provocation to prepare. We will also ask Director Participants to email us a 2-page script for two performers, not written by the director. These will be distributed to the actors a week before the workshop.
- Rehearsal Dynamics is for directors who are considered to be mid-career, emerging or established talent.
- Priority will be given to those who are actively engaged in directing or preparing to direct narrative drama.
- To be eligible to apply, you must have narrative directing experience. This can be in feature film, scripted drama, telefeatures, short films and/or web series. Please contact us if you’re unsure.
Applications Close: Monday 22 February, 10AM
STEP 1: Complete the registration form below.
STEP 2: Send in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- your bio with filmography, and
- a brief, maximum 1-page letter that summarises why you would like to participate and how you think this workshop could benefit your current or upcoming work or projects.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
This initiative is brought to you with the generous support of the New Zealand Film Commission.