DEGNZ invites applications from directors for two TV Drama Director Attachments with Greenstone TV on the TVNZ 2 drama series Vegas.
Vegas will be produced by Greenstone TV Ltd in collaboration with 10,000 Company and Steambox Film Collective with support from NZ On Air. An action thriller, Vegas follows a young, untested leader who wants to free his people from the curse of methamphetamine, but finds he can’t do it on his own. The story is based on the novel Inside The Black Horse, and will be filmed in Rotorua.
The aim of the attachment programme is to:
- develop and upskill new television drama directors,
- contribute to the ongoing production of quality future television drama and
- provide another training pathway to the limited opportunities currently available.
These attachments are for New Zealand directors who want to move into directing drama for television and already have significant directing experience.
Greenstone TV will train a first step director and a second step director. Each attachment will be present for the duration of the director’s block. Both attachments will attend HOD meetings, will be present for the whole of the director’s prep, receive training on preparation for the shoot, script mark-ups and rehearsals. Each attachment will have time in the edit suite with the director, and will be present for some of the on-line, including the grade and sound mix.
The prep and shoot for both directors will take place in Rotorua. Both attachments will be paid and their accommodation and per diems covered.
First Step Attachment
The successful candidate will attach to lead director Kiel McNaughton and needs to be available for prep and shoot from 21 September to 2 November 2020.
At the full discretion of the director and producer(s), the First Step attachment may be offered the opportunity to direct some scenes within the block.
Second Step Attachment
This Second Step attachment is intended for those directors with significant narrative experience who are ready to make the move into fast-turnaround TV drama, including those who have already done a First Step attachment under the DEGNZ TV Drama Attachment Scheme. The successful candidate will attach to director Mike Smith and needs to be available for prep and shoot from 12 October to 22 November 2020.
At the full discretion of the director and producer(s), the Second Step attachment may be offered the opportunity to direct a full episode within the block.
Applicants must have past dramatic narrative directing experience and a keen interest in television drama.
To be eligible, you MUST:
- Be a FULL member of DEGNZ, and
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- Have either:
- Two short film credits publicly screened to a paying audience at an NZFC recommended short film festival*, OR
- Held a position as the first assistant director of a publicly distributed and released feature film or TV drama series, OR
- Significant experience directing scripted short-form narrative content (short film, webseries or commercials), OR
- Won an award for a short film at an NZFC recommended film festival*.
Please download the application cover sheet and checklist (PDF 126KB), and submit the following in a single PDF by 5PM, Wednesday 26 August 2020 to email@example.com with ‘Vegas Attachment’ in the subject line:
- Completed Application Cover Sheet with links to examples of your directing work. You may provide excerpts from longer-form work. NO showreels.
- A CV with a bio and filmography
- A reference (from a senior screen industry practitioner)
- A maximum 1-page letter that tells us why you think you are suitable for the attachment and what you hope to gain from it.
We will ask you to indicate on the cover sheet which attachment you are most interested in applying for. Shortlists will be developed from applicants. An interview may or may not be required.
DEGNZ will notify you as to whether or not your application has been successful at the latest by 7 September, but no further correspondence will be entered into regarding your application and the decision will be final.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the attachments or application requirements.
This initiative is made possible with the support of NZ On Air and Greenstone TV Ltd.